Riverdale, IL residents – do you know how important tooth replacement is?
Do extracted or lost teeth have to be replaced? Technically, no; a gap is not fatal, illegal, or debilitating. However, if the question were, “should those teeth be replaced?” the answer would be a resounding “Yes!” We strongly recommend replacing any missing tooth for your health, appearance, and convenience.
The many reasons to replace missing teeth include:
- Resorption – The stimulation of a natural tooth root triggers healthy cell rejuvenation in the jawbone. Once a tooth is lost, this activity slows, leading to an overall decrease in bone mass. This can increase the risk of bone fracture, and even change the appearance of your jawline. Dental implants combat this bone loss, because they take the place of natural roots.
- Shifting – Teeth are naturally lined up in a row, keeping each other upright. When one is lost, the next one leans toward the gap. Like dominos, the problem spreads.
- Disease – That gap can accumulate plaque and food particles, although it may be easy to clean because there is plenty of room. Unfortunately, the tight spaces created by shifting teeth can be difficult or impossible to clean. Additionally, as a tooth leans, it pulls away from the gum tissue, inviting periodontal disease.
- Chewing – You can’t use a tooth that isn’t there, so you naturally begin chewing on the other side of your mouth. This may not seem significant, but it creates imbalanced strain on the jaws, and excessive wear on specific teeth. If you are unable to chew your food completely, it can affect the efficiency of digestion.
- Aesthetics – If you’ve lost a front tooth, you are probably considering replacement for just this reason. However, even a hidden gap can impact your appearance, due to bone loss and crooked teeth.
At Pleasant Dental®, we offer several solutions for missing teeth. In most instances, dental implants are the best choice. They are tiny, amazingly strong, devices that replace the roots. Various types of restorations can be supported by implants, making this a versatile option available to people who are missing one, several, or all of their teeth. An implant-supported restoration offers stability, functionality, beauty, and comfort rivaling natural teeth. We also offer traditional bridges and full or partial dentures for patients who do not want implants.
Let Dr. Dietrich help you find a beautiful solution to unsightly, unhealthy gaps. Our office is located in Dolton, convenient to Riverdale, IL and other area communities. Call (708) 576-1900 and schedule your appointment today.
Share this article
Back to Implants Page