What should Riverdale, IL residents expect during the dental bridge procedure?
A dental bridge, sometimes called a fixed partial denture, is a popular solution for missing teeth. A bridge has a lower upfront cost than implants, yet provides greater stability than a removable partial denture, making this a popular option. Many patients in Dolton, Riverdale, and other area communities ask what the procedure involves.
The entire process of creating and placing a bridge can usually be accomplished in just two or three appointments, taking about three weeks or less. The steps involved include:
- First and foremost is a comprehensive examination to ensure that you are a good candidate for a dental bridge. Dr. Dietrich will explain the advantages and disadvantages of all available options, so that you can make an informed decision.
- If you have chosen a bridge to fill that gap, the next step is preparation. The teeth on either side of the space must be contoured so that dental crowns will fit over them. The actual false tooth (called a pontic) is fused to crowns, keeping it stable.
- Once the teeth are prepared, impressions are taken of both arches. These will be sent to a dental laboratory, where the bridge is created.
- Dr. Dietrich may create a temporary bridge, here in the office, which you will wear while you wait for the permanent one.
- When your new bridge is ready, we will schedule the second appointment. After removing the temporary, the doctor will carefully check the esthetics and fit of the new bridge. If adjustments are needed, they can usually be made here in the office. However, he will return it to the laboratory if necessary to ensure a proper fit.
- When the new bridge is just right, the doctor will cement it to the prepared teeth.
- The final step is to enjoy your healthy, dazzling new smile for many years to come!
Do you have a gap to fill? Call Pleasant Dental at (708) 576-1900 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Dietrich to learn more about your options.Back to Dental Bridges Page